You are what you watch.

TV, Movies, Web, Books, and other extraneous things, and why some are worth your time and money - mostly

Monday, November 07, 2005

Happy Hundredth Post!!! [oh yeah and I talk about prejudging movies]


First of all, as you can see from the title, this is my 100th post. I had planned something exciting for this, like a best of column, or a pic of myself, or outlining my personal philosophy of active media consumption (hey that sounds familiar). But I didn't and I really want to post anyway, so I'll put it all off for the 111th post, (yes, it's a LOTR reference, yes I'm a nerd, and yes, I'd do every member of the fellowship. Yes, even the dwarf.) Now down to business.

Looking over my last post, I realized I implied that Daredevil was a bad movie. Now, I'm almost certain it is a bad movie, but I haven't actually seen it. Obviously there were lots of good indicators that it's a bad movie, not the least of which was bad reviews, and the presence of Ben Affleck who is bad news for any movie except Dogma and Good Will Hunting. There were all sorts of little cues besides the press that led me to believe that I would not really enjoy Daredevil, or that I might be pleasantly stimulated by the wash of bright colors and loud noises on the screen, I might even care a little about what happened (I have disgusting capacity for emotional investment in movies) but would have come out of it wanting my two hours and ten dollars back.
But like I said, I haven't seen it, so is it right for me judge it?
It's sort of a catch 22 you can't really know for certain if you'll like a movie till you've actually seen it but you can't give every movie a chance. This is less of a conundrum with obvious wastes of time like Yours, Mine, & Ours than with movies that seem like they could go both ways, like Walk the Line, it could be really good, or it could be a rehashed middle-brow oscarbating formulaic bio pic. (Reviewers tend to like these, so there's no way to tell)

But you can pretty much guess a movies quality from it's trailer. I guess this is sort of the trailers job, to convey to you what the movie is going to be, but they might make more money if they made the movies at least look like movies we want to see. [check these videos out]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home