You are what you watch.

TV, Movies, Web, Books, and other extraneous things, and why some are worth your time and money - mostly

Monday, October 17, 2005

Mea Culpa: just how many of the top ten Weblog Usability mistakes did I commit?

I found an excellent resource for young, naive, amateur bloggers (although, in a sense aren't all bloggers amatures?), the top ten Weblog Usability mistakes AK just how much I totally and completely suck at this still.

here they are, with my analysis of my errors.

1. No Author Biographies

I haven't yet written a biography, but I certainly will now. I'm pretty shy and private, and I get kind of paranoid about the internet. I've now started writing a bio, which should be up soon.

2. No Author Photo

I mentioned already I'm paranoid and shy. I have low self esteem. I'm afraid I'll become like that fat Japanese kid who always gets photoshopped and put in flash videos. I'm going to have to think harder about putting up a photo. I might not, at least unless people want to see my Shana Punum.

3. Nondescript Posting Titles

I sometimes do this, and sometimes not. Some examples of bad titles of mine I'm testing link titles by putting more appropriate names as the title, so scroll over and see:
Minor Problem
All the Build Up is Over
Good Morning
Dilemma

But I tend to do good, or at least decent titles (like this one), just look to the left at my recent posts and see for your self.
I'm only counting this as half a sin for me.

4. Links Don't Say Where They Go

I also sort of do this (see this recent post for some examples) but I don't think it's so bad. I click on stuff like that all the time (maybe cause I'm a n00b) you can see the URL in the bar at the bottom of the browser, and you can often ascertain based on context where it will send you. I'll try to use link titles, too. I'll take a half point on this, too.

5. Classic Hits are Buried

I'm so screwed. I don't do this, but then again, I don't think I really have any classic hits to highlight. I could browse my archive and see what's good, though... Then I'd have to figure out where to put them. With all the other shit in my left column.

6. The Calendar is the Only Navigation

In my own defense, I don't know how to categorize posts, except maybe with del.icio.is tags, which I don't think is what he means.

7. Irregular Publishing Frequency

Aha! One I'm relatively good on. I post pretty steadily every day, I miss one every once and a while, but some days I post more than once. So yeah, I'm regular!

8. Mixing Topics

I try to stay vaguely focused, and am vaguely focused by my new name. I tend to cover things broadly, but rarely too far out of the realm of media & culture, which is pretty broad.

9. Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss

Ah, this is one I understand. As I mention, I'm very self-conscious so I don't post things I don't want people to read about me (like that hooker I killed, I never talked about her).

10. Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service

... I'll work on this one. I swear. As soon as I get a credit card, I'll register something. Although I don't think a ".blogspot" is so bad, I mean, at least it's not Xanga.

So let us see, of ten mistakes, I make about seven of them. And I have to wait all the way till next Yom Kippur to atone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home