You are what you watch.

TV, Movies, Web, Books, and other extraneous things, and why some are worth your time and money - mostly

Thursday, October 13, 2005

del.icio.us = awesome

So, first of all, I got it off German, although now it doesn’t really matter because I’m now writing from within Word. That’s a relief.
If this word thing works the way I think it does, and I think it does, I’ll be a much happier person. For example, I’ve been dying to be able to footnote my posts. EDIT: Ix-nay on the ootnotes-fay. I got an error message until I deleted the footnote. They should keep this in mind for their next bug fixes.

Anyway, I wanted to talk a little about del.icio.us. If you’re unfamiliar with del.icio.us, it’s a tagging program. Every time I and tens of thousands of other people read a web page that we find interesting, we post it to del.icio.us. For example: I recently read an article at Wired Magazine about alien abductees, so I decided to tag it. I tagged the site with the tags weird, aliens, spacetravel, abductions. As you can see, if you click on the links, you can see everything that I’ve tagged with those words, which is not much, since that doesn’t really interest me that much. These are my top ten tags: gay, funny, humor, queer, blog, media, movies, weird, reference, books.
From the site of my links, you can see what everyone has published under those links, see things tagged with 2 distinct links (say movies and scifi) to narrow your search. And pretty much every page has an RSS feed, so you can subscribe to everything that’s posted to it. It’s a great and growing tool for media browsing.
You can also go to Collaborative Rank and see the most influential users. I rank number 767. Out of 50,690, that’s not bad.
For more information on tagging, check this screencast or check things I’ve tagged.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home