You are what you watch.

TV, Movies, Web, Books, and other extraneous things, and why some are worth your time and money - mostly

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Cursing, actually pretty fucking cool; and more on the new TV season

First off: Fascinating NY Times article about the neurolinguistics (one of the only sciences that interests me) of cursing. My favorite trivia:
The title "Much Ado About Nothing," Dr. McWhorter said, is a word play on "Much Ado About an O Thing," the O thing being a reference to female genitalia.
If that sort of thing interests you, I'd also recommend one of my favorite books: The Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson. Not only is it full of interesting trivia and accessible history of the English language, it's often laugh out loud funny.

As for new TV: last night was the start of the new Season of Nip/Tuck started last night. With the exception of the totally gratuitous menage a trois at the end of the episode (see also Rome) the episode was everything I've come to love about Nip/Tuck.

Tonight marked the start of Lost and Invasion, and also The Apprentice: Martha Stuart. I didn't have time to watch all three, so I missed Martha, but I'll try to catch it in reruns. Lost was good, but I don't know how much longer I can put up with this
we're-not-going-to-tell-you-one-goddamned-thing-about-what's-going-on game the writers are playing. Half of me loves it, and half of me wants to kill them.
Invasion was also pretty good. I'm not sure how long I'll want to stick with it. I'm not huge on Aliens and the premise seems like it could get pretty old pretty quick.

Side note: when I was planning my viewing schedule, I confused Invasion with Threshold, since they're both about Aliens. I'm more curious about Threshold, since one of my favorite actors, Peter Dinklage, of The Station Agent and Elf, is going to be in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home